Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Weekly Top 5: Most Anticipated Games of 2015

The title of this Top 5 is pretty self explanatory. A lot of DToiders have been writing similar blogs, so I figured I would jump on the bandwagon. Here are the 5 games scheduled for release in 2015 that I'm most looking forward to.

Honorable Mention: Ori and the Blind Forest

The only reason this game missed the top 5 is because it's not going to be released on a console that I currently have, so it's not a guarantee I'll have a chance to play it in the year 2015. I love me some metroidvania games, and not only is this game absolutely gorgeous, but Moon Studios has stated there's a very heavy emphasis on platforming, which is the reason I loved Guacamelee so much. Yes, the combat was great, but those platforming puzzle sections were what I loved most about it. Hopefully Ori does something similar.

5. Hyper Light Drifter

I got an opportunity to play Hyper Light Drifter at Pax East last year. It originally wasn't on my radar, but a buddy told me I should check it out if it were there. It was, and even though I sucked at the game, I still had an immense amount of fun. Any game that has a retro art style will grab my attention, then throw in the fact that it's an action-RPG inspired by SNES classics, and you've pretty much got me throwing my money at you.

When the game makes its way to the PlayStation 4 next year, it'll be a day one purchase for sure, and hopefully that'll also grant me the Vita version, because Hyper Light Drifter seems like a perfect handheld title.

4. Splatoon

Any time Nintendo comes out with a new IP (which doesn't happen very often these days) I immediately want to know more about it. If there's one thing that I know from the 26 years of my life I've spent playing videogames, it's that I can trust Nintendo. Even if it's not the big budget title that we all think of when we hear the term "triple-A", at the very least I know it'll be a solid game, it'll control well, and it'll work when I open it up...so pretty much the exact opposite of most triple-A games these days.

I actively avoid competitive multiplayer in most games, and I could see myself getting really into Splatoon's multiplayer when it comes out. I love the way the game looks, it's wacky and fully of vibrant colors you don't see very often. This is definitely a game most Wii U owners should perk their ears about.

3. Resident Evil Revelations 2

I think the original Revelations is the best Resident Evil game since RE4, so why wouldn't I be excited for this one? I'm not entirely sold on the episodic structure, but at least they're planning to release one episode a week until the game is completed, with a full version coming shortly thereafter. I'll likely opt for the full retail version rather than digital episodes, I prefer physical discs and I'm a pretty patient man.

It's also good to see Claire Redfield in her first new Resident Evil game in 15 years, as well as possibly getting an appearance from fan favorite, Barry Burton, as Claire's partner is Barry's daughter, Moira (Barry Burton is good at naming his guns, not his children). Revelations was a return to form for the Resident Evil series, and after the poop stain on the series that was Resident Evil 6, I'm hoping this sequel puts the series back on the right path, and from what I've seen thus far, it appears it will do just that.

2. Yoshi's Woolly World

Dawwwwwwwww. How can you look at that and not instantly be filled with happiness? The greatest sidekick in gaming gets the Epic Yarn treatment and it looks like the purest form of joy that videogames have ever seen. Granted, I'm a self-admitted Nintendo fanboy (see Splatoon above), but I think most Wii U owners would agree that this looks like a must-play game for the system.

I was never a huge fan of Yoshi's Island, and I'm yet to play the 3DS sequel, but based on trailers and screenshots it looks like it plays like a traditional Yoshi's Island minus the crying Baby Mario, which admittedly was the main reason I never got into Yoshi's Island in the first place. I prefer platformers over any other genre, and Yoshi's Woolly World was very close to taking the top spot, but...

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

...that goes to the next Big Boss adventure. I know we all went through the "Cost v Length" debate earlier this year with Phantom Pain's prologue, Ground Zeroes, but it did its job and left me thoroughly psyched for Phantom Pain. Everything they've shown so far fits right in with the Metal Gear universe, meaning it's not too crazy, but still pretty crazy. I mean, why wouldn't Big Boss have a wolf with an eye patch? Makes perfect sense in a world where giant walking tanks are a thing or where a dead man's hand can take control over another human being, and those are actually pretty tame compared to the rest of the game.

I'm very interested to see the open world that began in Ground Zeroes expanded upon. Metal Gear Solid games are legendary for giving you tons of different options during battle, but the one thing they've always been lacking is the ability to approach situations from different angles. And you know Kojima is going to give you tons of toys to play around with and Easter eggs to find. The series hooked me with Metal Gear Solid back in 1998, and with the exception of one title, I've found every game since then to be a masterpiece.

I don't usually pay the full $60 for games anymore, but I'll gladly shell out even more for a special edition version of Phantom Pain on day one.

Follow me on Twitter and listen to my podcast.

Thanks for reading,

-Dustin

No comments:

Post a Comment